History

  • 1951:
    Rev. T.C. Montgomery is inspired to build a Christian home for homeless children. He begins raising funds from across Mississippi to establish the home. During this time, he refuses to take an income and often sleeps in his car with little more than a Bible and a burden. His first cash offering is received in the amount of $37.14, with pledges totaling $322.00.
  • 1952:
    Four parcels of land are purchased in Tupelo, Mississippi, for a building site for Tupelo Children’s Mansion. Construction is begun on the first residential hall, Montgomery Hall, and the Hansford Building.
  • 1952:
    The Mansion is officially recognized and endorsed as a religious project by the United Pentecostal Church at the General Conference in Little Rock, Arkansas. A charter, as a non-profit corporation, is also granted by the state of Mississippi.
  • 1953:
    The first four children arrive in Tupelo by train—Edna, age 12; Billie, age 10; Patsy, age 7; and Faye, age 4.
  • 1954:
    Rev. L. J. Hosch, the first TCM Superintendent, accepts more children at the Mansion, bringing the total number to 11.
  • 1955:
    Rev. and Mrs. R. P. Kloepper accept the challenge as Superintendent. Through their leadership, people all across North America are more aware of the Mansion.
  • 1970:
    Rev. and Mrs. Brian Chelette are selected as TCM’s third Superintendent, and give six years of dedicated service to the continued growth and development of the campus as well as the enrichment of the children who called the Mansion their home.
  • 1976:
    Rev. and Mrs. Stephen M. Drury are selected to be the fourth Superintendent of TCM. Under their dedicated leadership, the campus is expanded from seven buildings to 26 buildings, and many new programs are established, including a school.
  • 1999:
    Rev. and Mrs. Marvin G. Walker accept the challenge as the fifth leader of TCM. Even though they served for only two years, only history will reveal the tremendous impact that the Walkers had upon the lives of our children.
  • 2001:
    The TCM Board of Directors approaches Rev. and Mrs. Stephen Judd about coming to Tupelo to become the next President. The Mansion continues to move forward under their leadership as new and innovative programs are initiated to meet the challenges that are unique to our times.
  • 2004:
    The doors of Haven of Hope Girls’ Home are opened, a new program for troubled teenage girls with special needs.
  • 2013:
    The Mansion celebrates 60 years of service to children in need. One man’s dream has now become a reality, and is now one of the oldest and most trusted institutions of its kind. Tupelo Children’s Mansion—offering help and hope to so many hurting children needing shelter from the harsh realities of life.An e-newsletter, The Mansion Minute – is launched to thousands of Mansion supporters and alumni. Its membership grows daily.